Young authors David & Laura T. Lee (inspires others to write)

David T. Lee (14 year-old of 5 books, published a 4,500-word sci-fi at 7); Laura T. Lee (12 year-old of 2 novels, published a 62,000-word novel at 10)

I attended a Stockings for Seniors event!

Written By: David T. Lee - Dec• 25•13

Feliz Navidad (Merry Christmas)!

A while back (on December 14, 2013), I went to a local senior living community. I am a member of the Student Voice Senior Friends Crew at my middle school and we had an event there from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM called “Stockings for Seniors”. We filled stockings inside the country kitchen for the Meals on Wheels program, which delivers food and drink to the seniors.

My crew had to first put a pen and a weird-shaped bookmark in each stocking they filled. The whole room was in a frenzied chaos as people literally stuffed fistfuls of Hershey’s candies, CVS cough drops and some daily living supplies for seniors into the oversized red socks.

We finished stuffing the stockings in an amazing 30 minutes. Our crew director then gave us a handful of cards so we could deliver them to every senior we saw. The director also told us to slip the cards under the senior’s suite doors.

I spent about 15 minutes with some of my friends slipping cards under the doors, handing the cards to passerby residents and riding back and forth between floors on the elevator. As we distributed the Christmas and New Year cards, some of the seniors greeted us and we engaged in conversations with them.

While the event was supposed to last 2 hours, it was finished in 45 minutes. Instead of leaving, my dad and I walked around the senior living home, meeting some seniors and took a look at a high school art show happening there. Pottery lined the shelves of the kitchen and exotic-looking paintings were prominently hung on the walls.

At the lobby of the building, there was a lady playing classical masterpieces from the great composers (including Bach and Beethoven). The piano performance was very soothing, and I listened to it until about 4:30 PM.

Overall, I had a very happy time there. I’ll be looking forward to participate next year!

Here are some photos:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Feliz Nevidad

Feliz Navidad

Feliz Navidad

Prospero Año y Felicidad

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas

From the bottom of my heart

—————————————————

Dashing through the snow

In a one-horse open sleigh

O’er the fields we go

Laughing all the way (Ha Ha Ha)!

Bells on bobtail ring

Making spirits bright

What fun it is to ride and sing

This sleighing song tonight

Oh!

Jingle bells

Jingle bells

Jingle all the way

Oh what fun it is to ride

On a one-horse open-sleigh! …….

See you next post!

David

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.